Friday, June 16, 2023

Happy Birthday to Me, Again

Another birthday on the trail! Though for my 55th, I decided I wanted to let up on the suffering part. (Last birthday trip here ) My friends and I decided that all of us chipping in and renting a VRBO house in Port Townsend was a perfect way to celebrate; and with two cars and their help, we could get another 10 miles towards my PNT mile goal as we day hiked a point to point from the Tubal Cain parking lot to the Mount Zion trailhead, which is not far from Port Townsend. Browsing the rental options, I found an affordable cabin on the beach with just a five minute walk to the ferry! But "too good to be true" is an idiom for a reason. Somehow I had failed to notice this rental was a five minute walk to the CLINTON ferry - on Whidbey Island. Oops. 

Wrong ferry - still beautiful
Thankfully I at least noticed this a week or so out, so after about a million group texts, we came up with a new plan. It seems to me that as you get older, you either perfect the art of pivoting, or you get grumpy as hell when things have to change. Actually, it's surely a mixture of both - but I hope and pray I continue to lean towards going with the flow. The Spirit has taught me many times that a "mistake" is often just serendipity in disguise, if you can accept it. Therefore I wish you all happy "veiled fortune" trails! (I know my hiking log below is more of a girl's trip plan; but hey, if you are planning a little getaway - it's a good one!)

Ebey's Landing is always a favorite

Day 1: In my car, Heidi, Julie and I met Janet in her car at the Coupeville ferry terminal. This is one of the few places you can park a car for free for 24 hours, and because we wanted to save on ferry costs, we left both cars and just walked on. We had a reservation at the "Soak on the Sound" which we were going to walk to from our supposed Port Townsend rental so we could have cocktails without worry. Well, obviously we worked hard to keep that part of the plan in place. ;) Once back at our cars, we left mine for the next day's hiking plan and took Janet's to our "wrong beach" getaway. 


This is actually before the margaritas! We are naturally goof balls.

Day 2: We drove to pick up Rebecca at "The Happy House" so we could hike together. (Too much to explain Rebecca, but you can read how we met here if you'd like.) We started at Fort Ebey to go west on the PNT because last time I went east. (Story here )

Rebecca was an indispensable guide, as where we expected to head down to do the "official" beach walk we found a greatly washed out hillside that did not look 50 year old friendly. Time for another pivot. Rebecca assured me that the Whidbey Island section of the PNT is definitely a "hike your own hike" portion, so even though whatever crazy zig-zag way we ended up taking was "unofficial" - I am counting those miles! 

Bring a map if you're not doing the beach-
it's a maze at Fort Ebey!

I have no clue what we actually hiked- but here's a clue
Plus we loved them so much better than a 9 mile beach walk; we were even able to stop in at the historical house at Ebey's Landing which was open to tour. (My second time, but their first. Story here) Finally able to connect to the beach walk, we actually had to wait for a few minutes for a wedding procession. The day felt special in so many ways. 

Really interesting and sad history here

Who doesn't love a beach wedding?
By the time we made it to my awaiting car we were starving and opted to eat right there at Callen's Restaurant. I've always been curious, yet suspicious of this place; but I can assure you it has amazing food and service. 

Day 3: Just a lazy day until we reluctantly had to leave, but I'll leave you with a couple tips if you decide to check out the area sometime: 1) Possession Point at the tip of the island is not much to see, and you have to basically walk through someone's yard to get there which is really weird. 2) Langley is a very cute town worth stopping at - though don't get there before noon if you expect to eat. If you have money to burn you could stay at the "Inn at Langley"...but don't stop to ask about their restaurant if you don't. It will be painfully obvious you are not welcome. The "Ultra House" opens a little early at 11:30, and if you like authentic Japanese ramen, it is the place to be. 

I'll introduce you to my birthday gift,
Sammy,
next time :)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment