Tuesday, June 11, 2024

It's the Final Countdown

 

If you grew up in the 80's you are humming the synthesized riff from the band Europe's one hit wonder. Ha ha, you can't help it! But yes, the final countdown has begun!
Even though I was celebrating my 56th birthday on this trip, that's not the final countdown I'm talking about. (Though that timer is always ticking, right? So who knows?) No, it's my 500 mile goal on the Pacific Northwest Trail that I am at last approaching--hooray! I'm really hoping this is the year I complete it, and this last weekend's hike got me 11.4 miles closer.  

Two years ago I stayed at the shelter at the Tubal Cain trailhead on my solo trip to Marmot Pass and I promised myself someday I would return with friends because it was such a great place to camp. Well, this birthday trip was the perfect excuse to do it! 

Because Janet lives in Portland she drove up to meet us there...well, not exactly THERE, because you know I'm the queen of the complicated plan. So we actually met at the Mt Zion parking lot, where I would complete my hike next day. We left Janet's car, and drove mine the extra hour to Tubal Cain. (Actually closer to 2 hours because Google did us dirty. If you are smart, bring a paper map to back you up.) 

Lots of wild Rhodies all over this area!


It's just a short walk to the shelter from the Tubal Cain parking lot, so we brought ALL the stuff. We were risking having the spot already taken, but we lucked out and had the whole place to ourselves. What a glorious night of being loud, obnoxious, crazy old ladies! 

They had twins! We are "Team Sloth" now ;)
Janet adopted the boy, "Rocky"

 

With not the clearest of heads we tried calculating what time we should expect to meet up at the Mt Zion/Sleepy Hollow parking lot. (I would be coming in on the Sleepy Hollow trail after connecting from two other trails which make up the PNT mileage.) I thought I should get at least 2 miles an hour in, and if I started at 8 am that would be around 2:00, right? 

Easy miles; most are regrown old roads




That should give Janet and Julie a nice leisurely morning with plenty of time to drive down and then do the 4ish miles RT to summit Mt Zion. (The PNT continues up this mountain, but I knew I wasn't going to have the time or energy to do that with them.) With plan in place, we hit our tents much later than we should have. 

Regardless of how much this plan probably shouldn't have worked, it did. After a lonely 6 hours (didn't see a soul until the last 15 minutes!) I came into the now full lot scanning all the cars praying mine didn't give the girls any trouble, but before I could spot it I saw Janet coming down off their trail from across the street. Perfect timing!

Never truly alone in the woods...cougar marking explanation here

 
And I think there's a bear nearby!


And of course, SLUGS-- blah!

So we hopped in our cars and headed to an overflowing Port Townsend where we thankfully had reservations at the Monarch Hotel right on Water Street. What an amazing time we had enjoying the June Pride vibe in town --Happy Birthday to me!

You know I missed, ha ha. Sirens Pub is the place to be though!

 

Two more big trips are planned this summer that should get me to that elusive 500 goal! Fingers crossed! Stay tuned, and happy "almost there" trails :)

And The Starlight Room at the Rose Theater is a MUST
And it's Sammy's birthday too! See his story here

 

4 comments:

  1. not going to get many miles in a bar

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO happy to read you had a htear 56th
    lil' sis‼️🎉 Sounds like everything went smoothly ♥️ And to end it in my beloved Pt. Townsend. Neal and I were there on May 30th, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 11 miles to go! Woohoo!!! Is that like one more hike? It totally freaks me out thinking about you all alone with cougars and bears. You're so brave... for a crazy old lady. Haha :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I can only figure out how to comment anonymously. But it's me, just saying thank you for commenting! And this hike was 11 miles OFF my total, so at this point (after Devil's Dome Loop) I have 40 miles left :)

      Delete