Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Suffering Tank Gets Filled at Home Lake

Another 6 miles gained on the PNT towards my 500 goal, though I had to hike 24 to earn them. Sometimes I seriously have to ask what the heck is wrong with me. Why do I crave suffering? Though I know I'm not alone. When my friend, Dani, messaged me about this trip I answered, "Such a beautiful weekend! But DAMN it was cold. Tent was totally frozen this morning" to which she responded, "Damn!! I miss the trails!!!" with a sad face...as if freezing your ass off is the best time ever. 


Though, look at these pictures. This kind of scenery pulls us like a magnant. Except, I know it's more than that. The Appalachian Trail lacked views most the time; and even though that made me grumpy, I kept on hiking - loving and hating it all the while. Maybe us hikers have some weird trauma bond with nature?

But I can tell you one thing, there is little else that will get me up at 4 am. Second time in two weeks I was up at that hour to get on trail. Marmot Pass to Home Lake has been on my list for awhile, though I was really hoping to make it a leisurely three day excursion with friends. But this last beautiful weekend just before the season closes sealed the deal - I had to go solo and get er' done in two days. 


So, 436.7 down, 63.3 more to go. I told myself I was going to squeeze in Devil's Dome Loop (or I should say half of it) this coming weekend if the weather was nice (which it will be) but I just don't have it in me. I won't say this last trip broke me...but I will say it filled my "I need suffering" tank - for now. Happy "know when to say when" trails. Trip details below if interested, as always.

Day 1: Caught the first ferry at Edmonds and was hiking by 8:30 am. The forest road here is grade A - I think they must have recently did road work because there was maybe one pot hole.The trail itself is grade A too, though you gain 3K getting up to the pass, so it's a steady grind. (I did the Big Quilcene trail to get to the pass, though I've heard going in by way of the Dungeness is easier.) Then it's down down to Boulder Shelter (no shelter that I could find though) and relatively flat for awhile. But that last mile...ugh. I was STRUGGLING with the incline and had my head phones on because it helps me. I only saw one trail runner after Marmot Pass, and it was getting late, so I gave up on the idea that anyone would come up behind me. So Brad scared the absolute shit out of me. We were the only ones at the lake, so he came over when I was settled to say hi and ask if I would heat his water, being as he doesn't carry a stove. It was so frigid, so I didn't blame him for not wanting to eat his meal cold like he usually did. When he left he warned me he'd be gone before I left because he was getting up real early. I said I was getting up early too, to which he replied, "No, like I'll be out of here before first light"...as if nobody else knows how to get up at that hour. I tried not to gloat when I passed his camp in the morning while he was still packing up...but I might have just a tinge. ;) This day was 11.6 miles total. 

Day 2: Total miles for this day was 12.4. Like I mentioned, I was hiking by 5:30 am. I'm not a headlight hiker, but it needed to be done because I couldn't be this close to Constance Pass and not do the extra half mile to the top. I was wearing EVERYTHING I had, but that wind up top...BURRRR. I could see the outline of ridges, but not much else, though I was certainly not waiting for sunrise. I didn't take off even one layer until 11:00 am, and even with gloves my hands did not warm up until that time. I think I was off trail at 1:45? I BOMBED down that forest road to get to Quilcene because I was STARVING, and even thought I'm trying to be dry this month I could not resist a beer to go with my patty melt and it was so amazing. They even gave me a free sample for Sammy, which is why Quilbilly's is the best.

Always have to take a picture here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment