Monday, February 13, 2023

High Steel Bridge Blessings

The Instagram real from @explorewashstate showing a dizzying aerial view of Washington State's highest bridge had me memorized. A 375 tall steel bridge you could walk across with a stunning vista of river and waterfalls within a few hours drive from me? Count me in!

Though those few hours included getting through the agony of the Seattle/Tacoma 1-5 traffic hell...which is a lot to endure for a 685 foot stroll. Being that I really wanted a test run with my new backpacking tent, I searched for early season hikes in the area to make it worth it.

Eureka! The Lower South Fork Skokomish River was close by and looked perfect for an easy backpack; but being I had that traffic gauntlet to get through on a late Friday afternoon with daylight fading soon after 5 pm, I needed something easier than easy. 

Julie must decorate...it's tradition :)
Eureka again! Brown Creek Campground is right between the bridge and the hike - and six sites are actually open year round! February adventure, here we come! (We-- meaning Julie and I. She is crazy enough to be game for my stupid ideas, even after the Boundary Trail !)

Though my hiking addiction does cause me to make some questionable decisions, I have always been blessed with such incredible good fortune. We narrowly avoided some sure to be horrendous freeway backups, had clear skies with twinkling stars smiling upon us, arrived first at the trail head with more good weather, then barley even had a slow down all the way back to Skagit Valley. May you also find your early season fixes with just as much good luck. Happy trails! (Things to know list below as usual.)

Things to know for the Lower South Fork Skokomish River Trail and High Steel Bridge:

1) The road is not bad BUT make sure it's passable before you go, as rock slides and flooding are concerns. And do try to get there early -- the lot was full by mid afternoon IN FEBRUARY.

2) Make sure to download directions to BOTH places -- very confusing forest roads to the bridge, and service ends about 8 miles before the trailhead. But there is service on the bridge! We were thankful, because we found the directions to get home brought us over the bridge (you can drive on it) and it was a much easier and shorter way out.

3) If you want to car camp at Brown Creek, try to do Friday/Saturday if possible instead of a Sat/Sun. I was shocked to see 5 out of the 6 spots taken when we drove by on our way out on Saturday at around 2:30. Guess there are plenty of idiots who want to freeze their asses off in February. ;)

4) We enjoyed the Taqueria Las Palmas in Shelton. Nice, but not so nice that a stinky hiker would feel awkward. 

Cheers to being lucky hiking idiots!




No comments:

Post a Comment