Saturday, August 13, 2022

Hannegan Peak at Last


These two pics were taken ten years apart. It's weird, because it feels like a lifetime of difference between them. In so many ways, I don't even feel like the same person. But one thing sure feels the same...the difficulty of grinding up a steep hill. 

Beth called this a "good kind of grind"...you know I had to say
"that's what she said." ;)

It may have took me a decade to get back to it, but this time I did it right and grinded my way all the way to the top of Hannegan Peak on a crystal clear day. (Original story here ) This was the first day of a week long trip, so I'm breaking it up into two posts:  my girl group half, and my solo half. Or maybe I should say Type A trip vs Type B and C. (Yes, I know now it's supposed to be "Type 2" when you are miserable, but I'm sticking with my categories. See here for explanation.)

Worth coming back for!

Our girl group has done a trip together every year since we met in 2019. (First trip here) Because I'm the one with the specific "goals" (500 miles on 5 different trails) they have been totally supportive of letting me pick where we are going. But there is some pressure with that too...I REALLY want them all to enjoy it. Therefore, I had to pull the plug on our original plan of Devil's Dome because I did not want a repeat of snow stress. (If you read that explanation of type C fun, you'll understand.) I thought the Copper Ridge Loop would be a good fit, but planning a solid itinerary was impossible without knowing if we could get permits until the day of. Knowing Julia could only do the first three days actually brought a brilliant strategy to light. I'll give the specifics in the trail log below, but I'll end here with the cliche' that "where there's a will, there's a way." It may not always be true, but I'm so grateful that in this case it was. Happy "perfectly planned" trails!

Views are always better with friends :)


Trail Log:

Day 1: Zero miles. We called this "tourist day" haha. Janet and Dani were driving from Portland, plus we had to stop for our permits, so even though we thought we might hit Church Mountain on the way, we bagged that idea for the easier "drive up to Artist Point and take pics" plan. Our scheme for getting permits was this: camp first night in Hannegan Trailhead parking lot, camp second night at Hannegan Camp (both outside boundary and therefore no permits needed) then because we are now a couple days ahead of all other walk up permit people, our chances would be far greater. And it worked! I really debated even writing about this, but then remembered it's not like I'm some famous blogger. Maybe it will help a hand full of people; and that makes me happy. 

Tourists have to be annoying ;)

and climb on everything

Let's get ALL our crap out! Oh...and this camp
at the parking lot is NICE. Don't tell anyone! ;)


Day 2: Four miles to set up camp, then a day pack hike up to the peak and back for a total of seven miles. Julia was at first feeling bummed she was going to miss the good views, but realized at the top that this day was going to be hard to beat. We did all joke "why do we have to go any further?" But of course, hiking addicts can never get enough views! 

Hannegan camp is BEAUTIFUL...zoom in
and you'll see my tent. And the toilet view...
well, you have to see it yourself ;)

Julia's last day. I'm sure she missed the flies. ;)


Day 3: Almost seven miles to US Cabin. (No cabin there, btw) Julia only had to walk the four miles back to her car alone, which was perfect because then she had time to visit Bellingham which she was excited about. 

There may be no cabin, but the sites are nice!

Low miles means time for cards!


Day 4: About 2 miles to the Brush Creek/Chilliwack intersection. We got to do the cable cross together, which has been on my bucket list forever and was a BLAST. Then they continued on the loop (Indian Creek and then Copper Lake and then out) and I continued on the PNT to get more of my goal miles in. I got up to the Copper Lookout on the loop back in 2012, so I didn't mind missing out. I knew my route was going to be less maintained, but I felt up to the challenge. But there is a difference between an unmaintained trail, and a trail that has disappeared. Stay tuned. 

Get in!!



Time to split :(

Can't wait until next time <3

No comments:

Post a Comment