Monday, August 21, 2023

Vesper Peak Pain




My friend, Heidi, is going to summit Mount Rainer in less than two weeks. In doing so, she will accomplish her goal of completing the 5 volcanoes of Washington before turning 60. Maybe we were drawn to each other because of our mutual obsession with age related goal making? Regardless the reason, we are now hiking buddies; and I needed to help Heidi get in another hard workout to prepare for the big Rainer day. 

It's been 20 years since Heidi did Vesper Peak, and it's been on my list since I've known her because she bragged about how amazing it was...and difficult. So hey, Heidi, you want a tough work out - let's hit it! 

I've often said I tend to ignore elevation gain information before doing a hike. In fact, I made a comment on an Instagram account for a 3D route planning tool saying "I personally like to live in complete denial of elevation gain so I can experience maximum suffering" that currently has 541 likes. But this time I looked Vesper Peak up beforehand and saw that it gains 4,000 feet in 8 miles. "Okay, that's not so bad," I thought...stupidly not considering it's an out and back, so the gain is acquired in half those miles. Maximum suffering achieved!

And though of course I'm trying to be funny, it is actually true that I find satisfaction in finishing a hike and feeling like I want to die. I haven't felt that degree of suffering all summer; so thank you Vesper Peak - and may we never meet again. Happy "pleasure in the pain" trails. "Things to Know" list below for those interested.


Vesper Peak Info:

1) The forest road has potholes, but it is better than most, which may be why we saw a forest service truck heading up at the end of day as we leaving, our guess was to check for NW Forest Passes; so make sure you have one. 

Prepare for rocks


2) There are places to camp by the lake, above the lake on the ridge, and also past the summit on the other side. But my God, you will work for it. A big "no thank you" for me.

...rocks

3) A good 90% of this trail is maneuvering over rocks of all kinds. You need to stay focused if you don't want to twist an ankle. When I took my eyes off my feet for just a second on the granite scramble coming down from the top, I instantly found myself on my back when I stepped on a loose rock. Poor Sammy took the brunt of the fall. 

Thanks for having my back, Samsquatch

4) Because of all the rock, you really should leave your dog at home, IMO. My heart broke hearing one whimpering as he tried to quickly get across the hot scree field - it had to hurt.  

...and more rock!




4 comments:

  1. Hi Kellbell! I remembered seeing you and Sammy on Vesper on Sunday! Me and my friend passed you and had a quick chatting with you and I recognized Samsquatch!🦥 I admire your goals and determination! Keep it up!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, I remember - so fun to have someone recognize my little sloth star :) Thank you for posting

      Delete
  2. As ALWAYS...I loved reading about your new adventure lil' sis‼️ And as usual, SO impressed with your tenacity, humor, plus finishing challenging hikes. What a legacy you are leaving for all of us to read and aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled upon your website via WTA.org trail report. Pretty neat what I am seeing. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete