Sunday, July 24, 2022

Hiking with the Big Dogs

When asked my greatest fear just before leaving for my 50 days on the Appalachian Trail four years ago, I kind of surprised myself by answering "not fitting in with the thru hikers." What a dumb fear when you could get mauled by a bear, right? But I admire so much anyone who has the immense strength and stamina it takes to complete a 1000+ mile trail, and therefore am quite intimidated by them. 

So imagine my trepidation when finding out I needed to keep up with three former thru hikers on a quick 6 mile round trip support hike I had volunteered for through the PNT website.Ugh.

I confess my motives for coming were more than just charitable - I was excited to get an extra 3 miles toward my 500 mile goal on the PNT while feeling good about helping at the same time. All I needed to do was haul in some food supplies - easy peasy. (To toot my own horn I will say I have given money to the PNTA...I do REALLY appreciate all they do.) 

First of all, getting to Elbow Lake is just accessing the PNT, so my current number of 260 miles stays the same. Secondly, knowing these are very strong backpackers who could have easily split the weight I carried and still make it up quicker than having me come along did not make me feel much like a "helper." But I like to think I made their day more enjoyable by not having so much weight and having the excuse of going slow. 

I know they made my day more enjoyable. I had to face one of my other greatest fears of log crossings (double ugh) and this one really did freak me out. I don't think I would have gone across if not for my need to save face with the Big Dogs and for the fact one of them ferried my pack across for me. 

But the best part about hiking with thru hikers is getting to hear their stories, and I heard some doozies. I'd tell you the one that ended with "I've never been so relieved to see a big hairy penis"...but I'll let you wonder. That kind of disclosure is only for those who can hang with the Big Dogs. ;) Happy "facing your fears" trails!

To donate or volunteer or just to find out more click here

Trail Info:

If you look up Elbow Lake it will tell you it's inaccessible, but that is only if you are coming in from Mount Baker Hwy. The entrance from Mosquito Lake Road is fine if you have a high clearance vehicle. You will also see a round trip mileage of 16 miles, which must be from the other entrance as well. The forest road you travel for the option I did is about 11 miles if you stop at the first parking area you come to, and you'll see the trail directly across the road. (No signage though...and as mentioned earlier, it's a 6 mile round trip to the lake.) The river cross is probably less than a quarter mile bushwhack downstream, though I'm guessing later in the season it won't be needed. I'm assuming the 2,000 foot gain mentioned is from the other access point, though it did feel close to that. Whatever it is, it felt like a workout for sure. If you are super hungry like I was, take a right instead of a left at Mosquito Lake road on your way out and find yourself at the Welcome mini mart store which offers great burgers and a nice outside eating area. 

Decent camping if you are so inclined...just be sure there is not
a trail crew there taking up all the spots before you go ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment